Martelly Signs Order Ending Restrictions on Building in PAP, Haiti
- Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:48 PM
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (defend.ht) - President Michel Martelly called it the relaunching of post-earthquake reconstruction, the signing of an Executive Order to end a moratorium on private construction in Haiti's commercial center in Port-au-Prince.
The moratorium was put in place as a set of heavy restrictions in an Executive Order issued on September 2nd, 2010 by former President Rene PrÃ©val.
PrÃ©val and his administration had hoped to have Port-au-Prince rezoned and rebuilt for efficiency by a federal planning commission. PrÃ©val's government failed to receive financing for the reconstruction and for nearly two years downtown Port-au-Prince had not begun its rebuilding process.
Martelly took the opportunity of the occasion to appeal to the private sector community. The President painted the former President, PrÃ©val, as one who mismanaged and stunted the reconstruction of capital city.
"The city does not rebuild without the effort of the private sector and the contribution of its people," said President Michel Martelly who held a ceremony for his executive order that would end the restrictions set by his predecessor.
The business community which had many of its properties in the commercial center had been protesting their desire to rebuild their stores, buildings and fronts but were unable because of PrÃ©val's executive order.
Martelly would tell the public, I have "repaired an erroneous assessment of the state," and he believes it will release entrepreneurial initiatives that are likely to transform the commercial center and stimulate job creation.
And adding that the previous administration had acted out of fear, the Head of State said he would only stress that all activities planned in the area concerned must comply with building codes and zoning already defined.
Source: Radio Kiskeya