PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (defend.ht) - The Senator of the Nord, Moïse Jean-Charles, known to make accusations, usually unfounded, has launched out at the Presidency of Haiti claiming that indeed a letter of resignation was presented to the Prime Minister-designate and that the First Lady Sophia Martelly was involved.
Senator Jean-Charles, member of the group of 16 senators who opposed the candidature of the previous prime minister claims that the President has no intention of installing a government. It was neither denied nor confirmed by either party whether a letter of resignation, undated, was presented to the Prime Minister-designate but Jean-Charles said indeed, during a radio broadcast, the letter had been brought to the home of Conille.
"Yes effectively, Saturday afternoon, members of the cabinet of the president, corroborated with his wife, debarked at the home of Mr. Garry Conille and they gave him a letter without date, so that he may sign it. It was like a resignation letter so that at any given moment they can send him away. Not only was it the president's cabinet who debarked but there were a lot of people and a lot of security."
"In this sense, we condemn this. We consider it to be a political scandal. That won't lead the country anywhere... and all the times I have said 'president martelly doesn't want a government', today this is verified for all the Haitian people. Not only for the Haitian people but for the international community. And again we see that President Martelly does not want to take the country out of the situation that it is in now."
This is not the first time Senator Moïse Jean-Charles has accused the First Lady of engaging in acts of abuse of power. In May while accusing the president to a group of senators of having called the evictions of citizens out of the tent camps, the senator also went so far as to say the First Lady hit someone with her car and had her security beat them up afterwards.
A few days later Senator Jean Charles was accused of having helped the President of the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP), entrenched in a fraud investigation, escape to the Dominican Republic. Neither of the accusations were followed up.
Related 09.11.2011: 'Violent Altercation' between Prime Minister-designate Garry Conille and Presidential Advisers
Related 09.11.2011: Chairman of the Bar Says PM-Pick Garry Conille is Constitutional
Related 09.09.2011: Manigat on Garry Conille: UN Official Not Same as Diplomat
Related 09.08.2011: Martelly Admits Prime Minister Pick Has Not Resided in Haiti for Past 5 Years
Related 09.06.2011: Legislative Commission Requests to Verify Documents of Garry Conille
Related 09.05.2011: Dr. Garry Conille Designated to be Next Prime Minister of Haiti
Related 09.03.2011: Sen. Anacacis Promises to Vote Against PM Conille for Failing to Meet Constitutional Requirements
Related 06.05.2011: Senator Moise Jean Charles Denies Helping CEP President Escape DR
Related 05.31.2011: Senator Moise Says Martelly Called the Evictions and First Lady Hit Somebody with Her Car